Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, April 9, 2012

Full of Truth

John 14:6 (ESV)

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Good afternoon Zebras,

Yesterday when I put a bowl of jelly beans under the “Christmas tree,” my husband finally asked when I was planning on taking it down.  Now some of you may remember that I put the tree up the first of December and each day during advent I was supposed to pull out an ornament which had an attitude of God written on it and hang it on the tree.  But of course, I didn’t want to stop there.  I wanted to share with all of you everything I was learning so God’s attributes became of the focus of the December z-mails.

But December is long gone and I still have four ornaments to go and out of respect to my husband who for some crazy reason does not want a Christmas tree in the house year round, I am going to try and finish this up over the next two weeks.

So, today’s attribute is “full of truth.”

I actually pulled this ornament about two weeks ago and I have been thinking about it ever since.  Of course the obvious topic would be the truth of Christ as revealed in Scripture.  That no one comes to the Father except through Jesus and that the only source of truth in this topsy-turvy world is the revealed Word of God.

But that isn’t what I have been thinking about.  What I have been thinking about is whether or not people really want truth.

For example, if someone asks you how their hair looks after a haircut, if you are like me, you have to stop and think for a moment.  Do they want the truth? Or do they want me to tell them it looks great even if there’s a mile-high cowlick on the back of their head?  Chances are that part of them just wants to hear it looks great. 

Except it doesn’t look great, it looks weird and deep down inside they know it.

So why do they want me to lie to them? Because they want to be reassured that it isn’t as bad as they think it is. They know they look like a squirrel, but they are hoping no one else will notice.  It is like the “Emperors’ New Clothes,” as long as no one says anything they’ll never find out they’re naked.

But small, white lies to save others’ feelings may be fine when it comes to things that don’t matter, but it is life-affectingly-important when it comes to God’s Word. That is probably why the Bible commands us to tell the TRUTH in love, because it’s truth that will set men free.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment