Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, June 16, 2011

What Lurks Inside?

Psalm 73:25 (RSV)

Whom have I in heaven but Thee?  And there is nothing upon earth that I desire besides thee.

Good morning Zebras,

Sorry, I haven’t written but I was fasting and I didn’t want to talk about it.  I couldn’t really think of anything else to discuss, so I thought it was best not to post at all.

A few months ago I felt God prompting me towards fasting. At first I wasn’t sure it was from God.  I thought maybe it was just me trying to figure out a quick way to lose a few pounds, but He kept bringing it up so I decided it was His idea and I obeyed.

In his chapter on fasting in Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster says, “More than any other discipline, fasting reveals the things that control us.  This is a wonderful benefit to the true disciple who longs to be transformed into the image of Jesus Christ.  We cover up what is inside of us with food and other things.”

The first thing that came out of me was anger.  My poor son took the brunt of it and as he and his sister left to go to out with their grandmother they both agreed “Mom really needs to eat something.”

The second thing was the sobering realization that although I love God, I love His blessings just as much--maybe more. As I was getting into bed after surviving the first day of fasting I started thinking about my quiet time in the morning. No matter how bad today was, tomorrow I could get up and have a cup of coffee with God. Then I realized there would be no coffee and I was disappointed.  The excitement I had felt deflated a little because even though God would still be there the coffee wouldn’t.  Ouch!  (Even I knew that wasn’t good.)

The third thing I learned was that I had some pockets of unforgiveness that needed to be dealt with.

When Jesus was on the cross He looked down at the crowd and said “Forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”  Can’t you just imagine Him looking down and seeing the screaming, jeering people all around Him and then looking beyond their behavior to the ignorant heart inside and feeling pity for them because they didn’t know what the consequences of their actions would be?

I don’t know about you, but I have a few things I would have done differently if I had known what the consequences were going to be, but at the time, just like the crowd who crucified Jesus, I thought what I was doing was right.  It is only in hindsight I realize I was wrong.  And I am grateful for God's forgiveness.

Being able to forgive others involves giving them the same grace.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment