Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Read the Instructions

1 Corinthians 3:10–13 (HCSB)

According to God’s grace that was given to me, I have laid a foundation as a skilled master builder, and another builds on it. But each one must be careful how he builds on it... for the day will disclose it, because it will be revealed by fire; the fire will test the quality of each one’s work.

Good morning Zebras,

A few weeks ago my daughter had a bridge project in physics where she had to build a bridge out of toothpicks. She was absent when the instruction sheet was given out so she relied upon information from friends to complete the project.

Her dad helped her with the design and she and her friend spent a lot of time gluing and cutting toothpicks.  When they were finished they had made an amazing looking bridge.

Unfortunately, when she took it in to be graded she found out it was too tall, too heavy and that she had built the loading plane in the wrong place.  Because she hadn’t read the instructions carefully herself, she got a “D” on a project she could have easily aced.

And a very similar thing happened to me the other night.

My son, Nick, got a Blendtec blender for his sixteenth birthday.  I’d never seen one of these machines in action, so I was totally impressed when Nick started obliterating things with it. When he went off the living room to read the instructions I decided I’d try to clean it.

I quickly glanced at the instructions, filled the blender with water, dumped in some soap and pressed a button.  It was an I Love Lucy moment.  Everything started out fine, then the blender kicked itself into high gear and a geyser of soapy water erupted into my kitchen.

When I finally quit laughing I had a bit of cleaning up to do.

Katherine and I had both made the same mistake-we disregarded the instructions we had been given.  Katherine did not read the instructions herself; she based her whole project on information given to her by someone else.  And I didn’t read them thoroughly. I figured I knew what I was doing and foolishly plowed ahead.

God too has given us instructions, in a book we call the Bible, and a wise woman reads it for herself and builds her life accordingly.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment