Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cleans or Prunes?

John 15:1–2 (NIV)
“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.

Good morning Zebras,

I recently heard a pastor say the easiest thing you can do to improve your understanding of the Bible is to read multiple translations.  If you are like me you have your favorite version and that is what you tend to read but his point was that even if you don’t know Hebrew or Greek you can gain greater insight into God’s Word by reading the work of others who do.

Today’s verse, John 15:2, is the perfect example.

This is a pretty popular verse and one most of us have learned, but to be honest it is one I have always struggled with.  Because of my own inability to garden the words “cut” and “prune” strike fear in my heart. 

 I remember one particularly horrible incident where I not only butchered the poor bush I was “pruning” I also sliced through the cord of the electric trimmer.

The idea of God coming after me with an electric bush trimmer cutting and hacking away at everything that does not bear fruit is disturbing.

But look how another translation says it:

John 15:2 (ISV)
He removes every branch in me that does not produce fruit, and he cleanses every branch that does produce fruit so that it might produce more fruit.

The Greek word that been translated “prunes” means, according the Greek English Lexicon of the New Testament, to cause something to become clean; to make clean

Now that I like.  Cleaning involves soft cloths and nice smelling products.  Cleaning involves gently removing the dirt from items that we cherish.  Occasionally we may have to use a scrub brush on a particularly difficult stain, but for the most part cleaning is a gentle activity.  And that fits with the context of the passage.

Jesus, as we abide in Him cleans and prunes us, not in a violent hostile manner but with loving care so that we will bear more fruit (NOT do more work) which brings glory not only to Him but to our Heavenly Father.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment