Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Not In Charge

Philippians 4:5b–7 (ESV)
The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Good morning Zebras,

I am having the most pleasant volunteer experience.  I signed up to help with Grad Night at the high school.  In theory, Alicia and I are in charge of setting up, but since I don’t really know what I am doing it is hard to feel in charge of anything.

Instead I just go where I’m told and do what I’m told, and I love it.  No responsibilities, no worries, just the joy of working with others to accomplish a worthwhile goal.

This morning, as I was reveling in the joy of not being in charge of something, I realized God has allowed me to have this experience so I can fully appreciate what life is supposed to feel like.

Jesus promised us a light burden, but when I look around that isn’t what I see.  I see people burdened not only with the cares of the world, but the cares of church as well. And I know that isn’t what God intended  

We know the Bible says that we do nothing in our own strength, instead it is God working through us that accomplishes the task. But is that how we act?  Do we act like we are carefree helpers of God, or do we act like the weight of the world is on our shoulders?

And I’m not just talking about ministry work.  I am talking about everything we do.

If we believe that the very hairs of our head are numbered; that every day we will live has already been written in the Book of Life; that God has promised to work everything for the good of those who love Him; that no plans of His can be thwarted; that He will equip us to do whatever He has called us to do; and all the rest of the amazing promises in the Bible, including that Jesus has promised never to leave us or forsake us.  Shouldn’t we live that way?

The reality is we are not in charge of anything-God is. And that is GREAT, because it means we can live day-to-day in joyful obedience just doing what we are told, leaving the results up to God. 

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment