Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Dog Has Fleas

Psalm 127:1a (NIV84)
Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain

Good morning Zebras,

Thank you to all who prayed for Saturday.  It went really well.  God’s hand was amazingly evident, but unfortunately stories about found CDs, lost names tags, booklets, zebra cups, and fuzzy pants do not translate well to the written word.  But everyone who was there benefited from your prayers.  Even in what went “wrong” I saw God’s hand and it doesn’t’ get any better than that.

But what I want to talk about is Friday. Friday, as I was getting ready to leave for Colusa I was overtaken by an overwhelming sense of my inadequacy.  To be honest it had been coming on for a few days, but Friday morning it was in full swing.

When I woke up on Friday and my dog, Joshua, was obviously not himself, it was enough to send me to the couch. I laid there waiting to take Joshua to the vet thinking, “Who are you, what do you have to say, why should anyone listen to you, you really should just stay home.”

And the longer I laid there the worse it got.

At noon I drug myself off the couch and took Joshua to the vet only to find out he had pulled a back muscle scratching at fleas.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I was grateful it was only fleas, but at that moment in time fleas seemed like a big deal.  I felt like I needed to wash the beds and treat the dogs before I left for Colusa.

While I was in the midst of this, Ellen, my pastor’s wife, called.  She asked if I was on the road yet because she wanted to pray for me. When I told her that I was still at home because the dog had fleas, she did the best thing possible.  She laughed.

She didn’t sound shocked, she didn’t feel sorry for me, and she didn’t tell me I was under spiritual attack, she just laughed.  And somehow that made everything better.

In her laughter I heard God say “Don’t take yourself so seriously my friend. I’ve got this under control. You are just along for the ride.”

And of course He was right.

The success of any venture is not dependent upon me, or us, but is entirely dependent upon Him.  Her laughter was just what I needed to put things back in their proper perspective and remember: The only thing I should take seriously in life is God. 

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment