Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, November 11, 2011

Us, God, and Others

2 Peter 1:3-8 (NIV 84)

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness…so that you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world…For this reason add to your faith goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, and love.  For if you possess these qualities in increasing measures, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Good morning Zebras,

Today’s passage is of my favorites.  I have shortened it down so that you can digest the main parts, but if you have time I recommend you find your Bible and read the entire passage yourself.


I still remember vividly when God showed me these verses and told me He had given me everything I needed for life and godliness.  We had quite the discussion at Bible study because I sure didn’t feel like I had everything I needed.  And of course we all know if it doesn’t “feel” true…  I mean I felt like I had one or two things, but certainly not everything.

However, the thought of being unproductive and ineffective in my knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ struck fear in my heart and got me motivated to do my part. 

The qualities are not listed in order of importance and we are told to develop them all in increasing measure so I started with the one I liked best: knowledge.  Since God had already given me a great love of His Word making myself spend more time studying the Bible was not a hardship at all.


Perseverance came next, “to keep on keeping on” as they would say, to get up every day and choose for myself who I would serve. I learned serving God really is a daily decision and perseverance requires that I consciously choose Him every day.

Self-control was a little more difficult.  I kept trying to control the wrong things.  Finally, God showed me that I needed to start by controlling my tongue and then controlling other things would get easier.  He was right.

Then two weeks ago I taught on this passage at Colusa.  At the time I noticed I only emphasized three items on God’s list of important qualities to work on but I wasn’t sure why.  I told the ladies it was because those were the only ones I knew about and that I was finding godliness, goodness, brotherly kindness, and love came as a result of knowledge, perseverance and self-control.


Which, I still believe is true, but only half right because yesterday God showed me the other half.

The reason I focus on knowledge, self-control and perseverance is because I can work on those qualities alone. The other qualities; goodness, brotherly kindness, love, and godliness require that I interact with others.  I can be as loving as I want when it is just me and God, but the real test is when someone else gets involved.  Which is confirmation for me that God never intended for us JUST to have a wonderful relationship with Him, He also wanted us to have wonderful relationships with others. 

Remember it is the lone Zebra who gets eaten.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment