Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, May 11, 2012

Expectations


James 1:2

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trails of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  And perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Good morning Zebras,

Sorry I haven’t written. I ended up in the hospital last Thursday for emergency surgery and although I was discharged on Friday and I am doing well, writing e-mails under the influence of Vicodin is a very foolish thing.

But last night Laura posted this quote on her Facebook page and I knew it was God using her to prompt me to get back to writing, because “expectations” is what He had been talking to me about.

“Expectation is the root of all heartache”--William Shakespeare.

And I agree, worldly expectations are the gateway to disappointment. Nothing and no one is this world will live up to our expectations. Everything and everyone in some way will let us down.   And our expectations of God can also be the “root of all heartache” if our expectations of God are not in line with Scripture. God did not promise that everything would “go our way” He promised that He would always go with us, and those are two VERY different promises.

One is what we want, one is what is true.

Last Wednesday night I was reading James 4:13-16, about boasting about tomorrow and praying for the retreat I was supposed to facilitate the next day, when I was struck by verse that says: “Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.” 

It was one of those moments when I knew God was showing me something I do without really even thinking about it.  I count on things going as planned, instead of counting on God and being open to change.

The next day I ended up in the hospital.

One of my constant prayers is that God will direct my path, and although this was not the path I had planned, God gave me an overwhelming sense of His presence and the assurance that is was the path He had planned, which might sound weird, but it allowed me to relax and “count it all joy” because God had reassured me He was in control.

We should not expect everything in our life to go smoothly or expect that each day will go as we had planned.  Nor should we expect to get everything our hearts desire or that people will behave the way we want them to.  What we should expect is that in this world we will have “trouble” and we will “face trials of many kinds”, but no matter what happens we should also that God is always with us and He has everything under control.

 And I find those expectations incredibly encouraging.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment