Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, June 15, 2012

Quit Kicking the Door!

Acts 16:26 (NIV84)

Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open, and everybody’s chains came loose.

Good morning Zebras,

Last week we went on a family bike ride.  Katherine, my daughter was having trouble biking up the first hill but I wasn’t.  Since she is nineteen and in much better shape than I am I knew the problem was the bike not the rider.  When I looked at her bike I found out that I was right, her front brakes were engaged so she was literally biking uphill with the brakes on. 

And God said that’s what it’s like to live the Christian life with your power instead of mine, possible but extremely difficult.
I had to ask myself, “How often do I continue “biking” when God has put the brakes on, ending up being exhausted and discouraged rather than joyful?”

Then this week God took me to two “great escapes” in the Bible, two men who were in bad circumstances who waited for God to get them out.  The first is Paul’s release from prison as recorded in Acts 16:22-40.
Paul and Silas were flogged and thrown in prison for preaching God’s word.  The Bible says “around midnight” there was a violent earthquake and the prison doors flew open and everybody’s chains came loose.  But rather than run for freedom Paul and Silas remained and because of it the jailer and all of his family came to know the Lord. 

The next morning the magistrates set them free.
The second escape is recorded in Acts 12:1-19.  This time it’s Peter who is in jail and God sent an angel to get him out. The Bible says his chains fell off, the doors opened by themselves and the two of them walked out of the prison together.

But I think what God really wanted me to notice was what these men were doing while they were waiting.  Paul and Silas were “praying and singing hymns to God” and Peter was sleeping.  They were not kicking at the door trying to get out or sitting around worrying about what was going to happen next.
And I knew God was expanding on the lesson from the bike ride.  “Don’t keeping riding in your own power, and don’t kick doors that I have shut.  Simply focus on Me, praise Me, and wait on Me, because even if you can’t see it I have a plan.”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment