Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, October 15, 2012

Scorched Earth

2 Timothy 1:7a (NKJ)


For God has not given us a spirit of fear

Good morning Zebras,

Last month while I was preparing for the Walking in the Spirit retreat, waiting to see if the fires in Mt. Lassen would be put out in time for the event, a zebra sister sent me the following information she found on the internet about zebras and fires. She said she felt God was prompting her to send it to me as a way of encouragement.

"Would you believe," she said, "that the animals in Africa mostly likely to survive a fire are not the ones who run from it - they're the ones who run through it? Those who run away get tired, collapse, and are engulfed by the flames. Zebras, on the other hand, are especially great survivors because, rather than running away from the fire, they run through the fire."

"What a powerful analogy for the healing process," she continued. "The fire is fear. If we run away from fear, we die. However, if we simply turn around, face it, and run through it, we survive. And discover that on the other side is simply scorched earth, fresh for rebirth. And the fire is no longer moving towards us but away from us, no longer a threat to our survival."

This morning, I feel like I have run through the fire of fear and come out the other side. God tells us in 2 Timothy 1:7 that He did not give a us a spirit of fear-and because of that I am beginning to understand that decisions made out of fear are not from God.

For example two years ago as I left the Redding area Awana conference I was so discouraged I vowed never to return. I cried most of the ways home that day and I never wanted to feel that bad again.

So last year I didn’t go. Instead I managed to get myself invited to another Awana conference so I would have an excuse not to go. This year I tried to do the same thing, but God wouldn’t let me. And I knew I needed to return to Redding and face my fears.

And just like the story, running through the fire ended up being the right thing to do.

I made it all the way home yesterday without a single tear and even more surprisingly I had a wonderful time at the conference. The people who attended the workshops were great and I had a truly blessed day talking about the Lord, encouraging God’s people and being encouraged in return.

So thank you little Zebras, for praying me. It made all the difference and I hope my story encourages you to trust God and run through your fears so that you too can experience the blessings on the other side.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment