Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Correction


Romans 6:11–12 (NIV84)

In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

1 Peter 2:24 (NIV84)

He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.

Good morning Zebras,

Sometimes I think God has me write these things more for me than for any one else and the one about staying on leash was the perfect example-because I was wrong. 

After writing about Abigail running off leash after a dog, I took the moodles for a walk. Instead of there being one dog to tempt her to run away there were many. And even though she was on leash, she barked and barked and barked.  And I realized I don’t want her to just quit chasing dogs I want her to “want to quit chasing dogs.”

And I realized that is where I had made my mistake.

God’s Spirit does not want to keep me on leash constantly restraining me from doing what I want to do.  God’s Spirit is bigger than that.  He wants to indwell me and change me from the inside so that I no longer desire to run off leash.

People have told me God only has us work on one sin at a time, and up until now I would have agreed, but lately I am starting to wonder if that approach is Biblical.  If I work on one sin at a time and conquer it, who gets the glory?  I do.  I am so proud of myself for having overcome my…insert name of sin…that I can’t wait to tell people.

But if through faith in Christ I put to death my sinful nature, no longer letting old passions and desires rule my life then the glory would go to God.  For only God can truly change a person from the inside out.

I read a book once on the holiness of God that said to conquer to sin we needed to have the right attitude about sin.  We needed to realize that all sin is conquered by Jesus’ death and resurrection.  We conquer nothing; we simply walk out what He has already done. The battle is over and we need to live like victors.

Flip Wilson used to jokingly say “The Devil made me do it,” which was really an excuse to sin.   I think Christians should be living so empowered by the Holy Spirit that our explanation for super naturally loving others and dying to the desires of the flesh is: “The Holy Spirit made me do it.”  For after all “greater is He who lives in you, than He who lives in the world.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment