Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Happy As a Clam


Hebrews 6:15 (NIV84)

And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.

Good morning Zebras,

I really like the internet, you can find anything.  For example have you ever wondered where the expression, “Happy as a clam,” comes from?  I have and now I know, or at least I think I do.

According to The Phrase Finder, it’s from the northeastern part of the US and its earliest recorded use is 1833. Some people say the phrase comes from the fact clams appear to be smiling when they are open, but Phrase Finder believes it is actually part of a larger saying, “happy as a clam at high water,” which makes a little more sense because at high water clams are protected from the animals who like to eat them, thus they are happy. But either way, it’s a saying that has made its way into the American language and we know it means to be content.

God has me in a weird position where I know that all I’m supposed to do is wait upon Him.  Since waiting doesn’t come naturally to me, it’s driving me a little crazy. Yesterday as I was thinking about it I realized I needed the “patience of a saint.”  And a light bulb went off.  I have always thought having the “patience of a saint” meant being able to put up with an annoying person or situation without blowing up. But yesterday I realized it might come from God and have something to do with the way He trains His people.

Or, like the clam. was it just a cute little phrase that had nothing to do with the Bible at all?

So this morning I did a topical search in the Bible on patience and I can say without a doubt that having the patience of a saint is definitely a Biblical thought.  It appears to be a trait that all of God’s mighty men and women needed to have. 

It often takes less faith to plunge headfirst into a situation and try to fix it ourselves than it does to wait.  Plunging is what we like to do, we are people of action.  But that’s what Saul did that cost him the kingdom. And waiting is what David did.  David waited years to get the kingdom and God rewarded his faith.

When you think about it, it takes a lot of faith to sit around and wait on God trusting He is going to come through even though it appears nothing is happening.  Especially if you think you can do something to hurry things along.  But running ahead of God is the recipe for disaster; just ask anyone who has done it.

But then I dug a little further, only to be reminded that patience is a Fruit of the Spirit and an attribute of God.  Duh.  God has patience and He gives us patience. I think He expects us to use it.

So, here’s my lesson from yesterday...to be happy as a clam at high water, safe and protected from my enemies, I need to have the patience of a saint and wait upon God.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment