Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, October 10, 2011

There is a Difference

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want…

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday my pastor started a sermon series on the Twenty-Third Psalm.

To be honest I have never really understood why everyone loved this psalm so much.  Nor could I understand why we always read it at funerals.

David writes about The Valley of the Shadow of Death, but to me a person who has died has already passed through that valley to the other side.  And although I have often heard it read at funerals I have never heard it explained.  Or maybe they explained it and I didn’t understand.

Yesterday I realized the reason I have never understood it was because I didn’t have a heart like David’s.

David knew his God.

He knew his God was good and powerful.  He knew he could trust Him to take care of him.  He knew that God would protect him and guide him.  He knew that no matter what happened God was in charge and watching over Him. And it gave him great comfort.

But that never comforted me.

Knowing God is in charge and taking care of me was not comforting because it was only head knowledge.  David had lived it, I had only heard about it.

And there is a huge difference.

When you know about God you worry, when you know God you can relax.  Because when you really know who God is and what He is capable of doing, worrying is unnecessary because God, the creator of the universe who holds everything in His hand, has promised to take care of you.

And that is incredibly comforting.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment