Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rejoice!

Psalm 118:24 (NIV84)
This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.

Good morning Zebras,

I woke up this morning with a slight case of the blues, nothing big just a nagging feeling of blah.

As I was doing my quiet time I realized part of the problem was that I wasn’t “living in the moment.”  I was thinking about things that are going to happen in the future.  I wasn’t focusing on today.

So I went to reread Matthew 6:25-34. But the problem really isn’t worry.  It is excitement, plus worry.  I am excited about what God has me doing the next few weeks and worried that He is going to bench me again.

Then I thought of today’s verse. That was the answer I needed.  I needed to make myself rejoice in this day because the Lord has made it. Period.

But when I looked the verse up in the new NIV translation and read it in context of the surrounding verses I found that an old favorite had a new meaning.

 Psalm 118:22–24
The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone;
the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes.
The Lord has done it this very day; let us rejoice today and be glad.

I am still commanded to rejoice but not because of this day, but because of the day that God sent Jesus to lay the foundation of our faith.

That made a lot more sense to me.

I can always rejoice in the cross and what God has done for us by sending His son, I can’t always rejoice in the day of ahead of me.

And the more I thought about it, the more I realized that this new meaning fit in much better with the whole theme of Scripture. 

Jesus said in this world we would have trouble; the joy comes from knowing He has overcome it.  And He told the disciples not to rejoice in their successful service but in the fact that their names are written in the Book of Life.

Rejoicing is based upon the cross, not our circumstances, because that never changes.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment