Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

First Things First

1 Timothy 4:16 (NIV)

Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

Good morning Zebras,

This weekend God had me show a time-lapse video of a radish seed growing. It was incredible to watch and once again I was amazed what God teaches from the smallest thing. 

For example, even though it is not obvious to us, a plant first grows roots before it grows leaves. Every single seed that sprouted grew a huge bundle of roots before one leaf popped through the soil. But that wasn’t even what I was trying to illustrate.

We were discussing the parable of the seed from the Gospel of Mark. In this parable unlike the other parables about seeds, there is no emphasis placed on the farmer. He simply throws out good seed and it grows. He doesn’t know why.

In the video, right in the middle where they couldn’t be missed, three seeds did not grow. No obvious reason, they just stayed seeds. And we all noticed.


It was the perfect illustration of a simple truth. We are called to throw out good seed, which is the truth of the Gospel, but the growth is really in the hands of God.

We can water and disciple and encourage, we can tear out our hair and scream, but ultimately whether or not a person grows in their relationship with God does not depend upon us. It depends upon God and them.

And in a strange way that should encourage us, because it isn’t about me and what I can do better. It is about God.

But that doesn’t mean we are off the hook. We are just on a different one. I am not in charge of your spiritual growth; I am in charge of my own.

This week as I ponder on Matthew 22:37-39, where we are commanded to love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul and to love your neighbor as yourself, I am once again reminded that the relationship is vertical first.

I can’t give what I don’t have, and I don’t have anything without Christ.

Developing my own personal relationship with Jesus through Bible study and prayer must be my highest priority if I am to influence others for the kingdom.


Love,
Jill
Growing Radish

No comments:

Post a Comment