Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, September 19, 2011

Making Mistakes

Matthew 26:75 (ESV)
And Peter remembered the saying of Jesus, “Before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.” And he went out and wept bitterly.
Good morning Zebras,

This morning I’m grateful God put Peter in the Bible.

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to train Awana leaders at the fall conference in Fountain Valley.  I was really excited about going and spent time preparing what I was going to say.  But I made one fatal error.

I figured I knew Zebras so well that I didn’t really need to prepare for that workshop.  Heck, I’ve been encouraging women for a couple of years now.  I had just gone to Oroville and the presentation went great.  I was confident I knew what I was doing.  I was wrong.

I am now convinced that “I’ve got this one Lord,” is probably one of the stupidest things a Christian can think.

Saturday after conference I felt horrible, on Sunday God and I had a little talk.

First, every time I do ministry work I need to remember I am going into battle with Satan and act accordingly.  God may have me repeat a presentation I’ve already done, or He may want me to prepare a new one.  But I have to ask. Battle plans change based upon the circumstances and only God knows what is going to work.

And, secondly, it is not about Zebras.  It is about Him. 

Paul resolved to know nothing except Christ crucified and the power of His resurrection.  He never promoted a program or himself.  It was always about Jesus and what he had done.  And I knew that, but I forgot.

I was just so excited about getting the opportunity to share Zebras with a new group of women that I lost my focus.  I promoted Zebras instead of Christ and it wasn’t good

Last night when I shared my experience with my daughter her response was “But you learned.”  Then she told me about an assignment she had just done in her Spiritual Growth class.  They’d made a chart tracking the ups and downs of Peter’s life to illustrate the point that Jesus used Peter’s mistakes to teach him something.

So little Zebras, if you have recently made a mistake and you are beating yourself up over it--stop.  Learn what God wants you to learn and move on.  Allowing us to make mistakes is one way God makes us stronger.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment