Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, September 15, 2011

I Don't Know...

Proverbs 3:5–6 (ESV)
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Good morning Zebras,

I have struggled all morning with this Z-mail.  It has been a while since I have written so I was thinking maybe I was out of practice.  Then I thought maybe I was writing about the wrong thing, but God confirmed the topic was correct. Eventually, he showed me the problem was my tone, because God cares about what I say and how I say it.

All of us have probably said “I don’t know what God wants me to do.” But is that true? Do we as Bible reading Christians really not know what God wants us to do?

Do we really not know God wants us to trust Him and live a life that honors Him?  Or that He wants us to love Him with our whole heart, mind, body and soul and show it by loving others?

Of course we do.  So why do we say it? 

I think we say it because we don’t know what God wants us to do tomorrow or because we don’t know “specifically” what we are supposed to do.

But, as my friend Janet often reminds me, God works on a need to know basis. Everything we need to know is written in His Word. Obey that and when He needs to tell you more He will.  Specifics eventually make themselves clear.

Other times we don’t know what God wants us to do because we are trying to do something He did not intend us to do.  For the last few months I have been struggling with a new ministry opportunity.  Over and over again I found myself saying “I don’t know what God wants me to do.” 

Just yesterday I figured out His silence was His way of telling me He didn’t want me to pursue that ministry.  When God wants me to do something He makes it very clear.  The Bible shows us walls fall and seas part when God is running the show.

And sometimes I think we say we don’t know what God wants us to do when we want others to reassure us that we are on the right track, or when we are reluctant to do what God is asking of us and we are hoping someone else will let us off the hook.  

Really, the more I think about it, saying “I don’t know what God wants from me.” may be one of those Christian clichés that we need to quit saying. Maybe what we should say instead is “I am obeying God today and trusting that He will make tomorrow clear.”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment