Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, January 19, 2012

No Fear!!!!

2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)

For God has not given us a spirit of fear

Good morning Zebras,

Fear is a destructive thing and I‘ve decided it’s one of the best weapons in Satan’s arsenal.  Ever since God showed me that this would be the key verse for the next retreat, He has opened my eyes to how fearful His people are, including me.

We are afraid to witness at work because we might lose our job; afraid to share the gospel because people might think we’re strange; afraid to get involved and love people as Jesus commanded because they may take up too much of our lives; and we are afraid that if we fully commit our lives to Jesus Christ, totally throwing caution to the wind, resolving to do whatever He asks of us, He is going to take everything away from us and make us do something terrible.

Last weekend, Gary and I watched Moneyball.  It was a good movie but the scene that’s stuck in my head really has nothing to do with the main plot. It is a video clip of a frightened ballplayer.

This player is overweight and because it he’s afraid to run past first base.  I guess he is afraid because he runs so slowly that he won’t make it and he’ll be out, but on this particular day he decides to “go for it.”  He decides to be brave and try to get to second base.

Well, he hits the ball and starts running but as soon as he rounds first base he slips and falls.  It’s his worst nightmare come true and as he crawls back to clutch first base you can see the other players laughing at him. However they weren’t laughing because he fell, they were laughing because he’d hit a homerun and didn’t even notice. 

He is crawling around in the dirt clutching at first base when he should be up running his victory lap. 

And God revealed to me, “That is my people. I have hit the ball out of the park; I have given you the power of the Holy Spirit, the same power that raised Christ from the dead, but your fear keeps you from even trying to get to second base.”

Ouch.

I don’t know about you but personally I am tired of being afraid, I am tired of sitting on first base and I am REALLY tired of hearing Satan laugh at God’s People. And the only antidote to that is to be brave, trust God and walk in faith conquering one little fear at a time.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment