Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sovereign

Isaiah 55:9 (ESV)

For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Good morning Zebras,

When I started writing about the attribute ornaments back in December I purposefully started with faithful because I said that it was my favorite.  But this morning when Gary pulled out “Sovereign” I realized that might have changed.  Knowing God is in charge is one of my favorite things to think about and the attribute I currently find most comforting.

I didn’t use to think too much about the sovereignty of God.  To be honest it was irrelevant to my life.  I had concerns and problems, things that needed to be done and I needed to do them.  God seemed rather distant and useless.  Sure, He was going to get me into heaven, but the day-to-day stuff?  That was up to me.

Then, somewhere along the way someone told me about the sovereignty of God.  They told me that nothing happens that God does not allow, that every hair of our head is numbered and that God is the one who is really running the show.

Well, that caused a new problem for me.  How did I reconcile a sovereign, loving God with my life’s experiences? Because up to that point my experiences with God had not been so great. If God was really in charge then He had purposefully allowed some pretty rotten stuff to happen to me and knowing He was in charge didn’t make it any better. In fact it made it worse. If God did all that-what would He do next?

But this morning I realized how much knowing God has changed all that.

Knowing that God is holy, righteous, loving, gracious, merciful and all-powerful; that He is sovereign and in charge and that He loves me and has promised to work everything out for my good, allows me to live my life without the constant companions of fear and worry.  Of course they stop by now and then for a visit, but they are no longer allowed to be permanent residents in my life.

And knowing God is sovereign has given me a childlike faith I’ve never had before.

Because now I can walk in obedience to God confidently knowing that if I am accidently going the wrong way He will change the situation and get me back on track.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment