Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Trustworthy

Psalm 19:7 (NIV)  

The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday when I drew trustworthy out of the ornament box it was like water to a dying man, it was exactly what I needed to hear.  Being reminded that God was trustworthy made my whole day.

Then this morning I looked up the reference verse.  I expected it to say ‘God is trustworthy.”  So I was surprised to see that it said God’s Word was trustworthy. “That’s odd,” I thought, “ I bet I can find a better verse than this.”

But what I found is that all the verses say God’s Word is trustworthy.  And that started me thinking: God is trustworthy because what He says is trustworthy. The reason that people are not trustworthy is because they don’t always tell the truth.

Sometimes people lie because they have evil intent.  They are manipulative and vicious. They want what they want and they will do anything to get it. Even if it means telling the biggest lie possible. But that it not most people.  Most people end up telling lies without really meaning to.

For example, I told Nick I would take him somewhere today, but circumstances have changed and I am not going to be able to go.  I didn’t mean to tell a lie, but it became one because I don’t have the ability to control circumstances.  That never happens with God.  When God says something is going to happen, you can bet it will happen because no change of circumstance can prevent God from doing it.

Another reason people lie is because they are swayed by their sinful nature.  I once told someone I would come to dinner, but when the day came I was too tired and selfish to make myself go. Instead I called and told them I was sick, which was a lie. I hadn’t intended to lie when I promised to go.  I had planned on going, but when push came to shove, I lied rather than inconvenience myself.

But again that never happens with God. God does not have an old sinful nature.  God does not have an internal battle between good and evil because God is all good.

And sometimes people lie because it’s easy.

Originally I was going to use someone else for this example.  I was going to self-righteously point out how “others,” who shall remain nameless, say they are going to do something but they don’t follow through.  Obviously they are just big fat furry liars!

But God had other plans. He needed to humbled me a little and show me that I too am a big fat flurry liar when it suits my needs because he had me type and eat at the same time. And just like every other morning, my dogs showed up for their share.

My husband wants me to quit feeding my moodles (poodle mixed mutt dogs) people food.  He thinks it is bad for them, which it probably is, but I don’t think a few cereal flakes is going to hurt.  When he talks to me about it I halfheartedly agree to stop, but I have no intention of doing so.  I want to share my cereal with my dogs and I want Gary to leave me alone about it. A “white lie” accomplishes both.

But God never does that.  He doesn’t tell you something just to make you happy.  He tells you the truth; whether or not it is what you want to hear. And that is good.  Because in this world of half-truths and big lies, it is wonderful to know what God says is true.

John 17:17b: Thy Word is truth.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment