Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday as I was walking with my “Holy Spirit sticks” (the sticks I use that turn walking into a whole-body exercise, reduce impact on knees and hips, and allow me to walk further and faster than I could without them) I passed a woman carrying hand weights. 

She was a large lady and the last thing she needed was to add more weight to her already stressed frame. But I’m sure she read somewhere that carrying hand weights would increase weight loss.

I thought about telling her about my sticks because I knew they would make her walk more enjoyable and she would get the results she was looking for, but unsolicited advice is not always well received. So, I just kept walking.

But as I did I thought about how Christians live their lives. Too often we carry hand weights when we should be holding on to our sticks.

Matthew 11:28–30 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

God did not come in human flesh and die upon a cross so that we could have a list of rules.  They already had a list of rules. He came to set them free from the law of sin and death and to reconcile the world to Himself.

If you live out your faith by always “trying” you are like the lady carrying the weights.  But if you realize nothing good lives in you and give up your right to yourself the Holy Spirit, which lives in all who have salvation, will have control of your life and it won’t be you trying to do things, it will be God doing them.

The difference is subtle, but it changes everything.  I know because I’ve lived both ways.   

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment