Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Not Just For One


John 11:51–52 (NIV84)
He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation, and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one.

Good morning Zebras,
Have you ever heard anyone say some variation of this thought: “If I was the only one who was going to accept Christ, Jesus would have come and died just for me.”   

I have and I’ve wondered if it were actually true. I find that people usually say it when they are trying to convince themselves that they have value.  But why do we have to have God die just for us to make us feel important?
Then last year Katherine, my daughter, started talking about it.  She asked me if I had ever heard anyone say “God would have died just for me.”  When I replied I had, she shared that her New Testament Survey professor at Moody said it wasn’t true.

At the time I was so excited to hear it, that I didn’t ask her what verse they used as reference.  And when I asked her a few weeks ago she couldn’t remember.  So I started praying that God would show me where it was.

This morning I think I found it-actually I think I found at least two.

John 6:37–39 (NIV84)
All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.  And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.

John 17:2 (NIV84)
For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.

Jesus says He came to get all the people God had given Him.  The word “all” is plural which means Jesus never came for just one person He came for everyone that the Father had set aside for Him to get.  That means there is no way to know if Jesus would have come for just one person because that was never the task.  Saying it might make us feel more important, but it doesn’t mean it is true.

Jesus did come for you, and He came for me, but He came for millions of others too and it is our job and privilege to tell them so.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment