Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Saturday, July 9, 2011

God's Training

1 Timothy 4:8 (NIV)

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Good morning Zebras,

Katherine, my daughter, is on her summer mission trip to South Korea, but before she could go to South Korea, she had to spend a week Washington where she and the other students who were going underwent some training.

Since I was at camp during her training week, I didn’t get to talk to her until I got home.  At that point she had a whole week’s worth of stories to tell me about what Youth Missions International had been doing to get them ready for their trip. After she finished with her “training” stories, she started sharing about what was going on with her.  Her own personal struggles completely unrelated to the training that YMI had developed.

Maybe it was because she was immersed in a training situation but as I listened to her I could tell the situations she was experiencing were also training.  They were God’s personal hand-picked training for Katherine.   Only God knows what Katherine needs to learn to be able to do the job He has called her to do.  And He was training her accordingly.

As I was talking to her a thought crossed my mind- “Maybe”, I thought, “that’s how we are supposed to look at all the situations in life.  As training from God”

A week later I watched Secretariat.

Secretariat is considered the greatest race horse ever.  He won the Triple Crown in 1973 and his time in the Kentucky Derby and the Belmont Stakes are still the fastest on record.  But what caught my attention was the training Secretariat went through to win.

While the other horses were resting between races, or training at a leisurely pace, Secretariat’s trainers continued to train him hard.  According to the movie, people thought they were training him too hard, they thought that they were going to “ruin” the horse.  But they knew Secretariat loved to run so they let him run.

The last scene in the movie where Secretariat is flying down the track and heading for the finish line is inspirational.   He was obviously crafted by God to be a runner, but the hard training paid off and he won the last race by a record-shattering thirty-one lengths.

It was so spectacular for a minute it made me wish I was a horse.  But then I thought…no, I’d rather be a well-trained Zebra.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment