Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, July 1, 2011

Privilege of Sacrifice

Genesis 22:14 (ESV)

So Abraham called the name of that place, “The LORD will provide”; as it is said to this day, “On the mount of the LORD it shall be provided.”


Good afternoon Zebras,

I love God’s word. I think one of the reasons I love it is that I can always find a person or situation to encourage me in my own walk. Never do I go “where no man has gone before,” instead I try to walk in the footsteps of those faithful men and women who have gone before me.

And no one was more faithful than Abraham.

When I was preparing for retreat I was struck by the account of Abraham’s offer to sacrifice Isaac. We have all heard the story a bunch of times, yet when you really stop and think about it you can’t help but be inspired.

For the last two years, I’ve been toying with my work situation. In June 2009, after much prayer, I asked for and received a year’s leave of absence from my job. Last June my leave was extended. This year was the year I had to decide. No more extensions were available. I have only two options quit or go back to work.

So Gary and I prayed.

Gary wanted a clear sign from God that writing e-mails and encouraging women was indeed the path God wanted me on. I wanted to be like Abraham and sacrifice my job to God and trust Him to provide something else. Because we all know Abraham wasn’t given the ram until he was willing to sacrifice Isaac and I didn’t want to miss my ram.

Only God could provide both.

In March I received my lay-off notice. Like many teachers around the state “My services were no longer required.” But that’s not that unusual, lots of teachers receive pink slips in March only to have them rescinded in May

But this year was different. I actually got fired. I lost all of my seniority and my position at the school. It was a very strange feeling to no longer have the option to go back to work but it was a very clear answer to Gary’s prayers. God wanted me to quit.

Yesterday I received an e-mail saying they have a job for me. Tuesday I am heading to the district office to sacrifice the opportunity.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment