Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, July 25, 2011

Major Changes

Galatians 5:22–26 (ESV)
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.  And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
Good morning Zebras,

I hope you all are doing well.

I am having a repeat summer, and trying not to make the same mistakes.  Last summer I used the blog to vent some frustrations under the guise of teaching God’s Word.  What I’d said was true but it wasn’t kind or respectful and a few months later God had a small chat with me and I had to delete quite a few of my posts.

It was an unpleasant experience and one I don’t want to repeat, so this summer I am following the advice of Thumper…”If you can't say something nice... don't say nothin’ at all.” Of course that is found in the Bible as well.

James chapter three has a very disturbing discourse on the use of our tongues which starts with, “Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.”  It goes on to call the tongue a fire, a restless evil that can set the course of our life, an untamable evil that is full of deadly poison with which we praise God but curse people who are made in His image.  But, James says IF you can learn to control your tongue, you can learn to control your whole body as well.
So that is what I have been doing, learning to control my tongue.  And what I have learned is the best way to control my tongue is to let Christ change my heart.

Out of anger, jealousy, and self-centeredness come unkind words and thoughts.  They are simply a symptom of an ugliness that lives inside.  And controlling the symptoms is never as good as curing the disease.

Acting patient is not the same as being patient, acting loving is not the same as being loving, and acting humble is not the same as being humble.  One takes a lot of work, the other takes Christ.  For only God can impart to us the gifts of the Spirit.  But if we act patient, loving and humble and pray for God to make us that way, He will.

To be honest, I’m not sure how it works.  I just know that it does. 

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment