Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Closed Door


1 Corinthians 2:9 (NIV84)

However, as it is written: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him”

Good morning Zebras,

Waiting on God is a completely underrated discipline.  We think of waiting as wasting time, but in reality it is giving God time to work.  We think we are so clever and necessary to God’s plans when the actual truth is we often get in His way.

Recently I have had the unpleasant experience of watching God shut a door in my life.  It wasn’t a quick slam; it was a slow, creaking closure that I think I could’ve prevented.  But God didn’t want me to.

He told me if I stuck my foot in the door to prevent it from closing, either my foot would get crushed or I would be trapped doing something that He no longer wanted me to do.

After much prayer, I officially resigned as commander of our church’s Awana program, and I prayed someone else would step up.  No one did. This Sunday my home church, of fourteen years, announced they wouldn’t be offering the Awana program for this school year.  And the door was shut.

Christians often say in these situations “When one door closes another opens” but that isn’t found in the Bible.  God does not promise an open door, He promises to make our paths straight, He promises knowledge and wisdom, and He promises never to leave us or forsake us.  He does not promise to immediately open another door.  Sometimes He does, but sometimes He wants you to sit in the room for a while and wait. 

But waiting is hard.  It is much easier to squeeze out the first open window we see rather than wait upon God’s revealed will.  Yet everyone who has waited on God has experienced the blessings that come from it.  

Alexander Graham Bell said, “When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” And I think that’s too often true.


Like Lot’s wife we look back at what God has “taken” away instead of looking forward to what He has for us.

So have a great day little Zebras,waiting on God and looking forward with expectation to the blessings He has in store for you.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment