Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Cost of Obedience

John 12:26a (ESV)
If anyone serves me, he must follow me

Good morning Zebras,

Last time I shared with you that I had to stand by and watch God shut a door in my life.  Today I want to share a couple of the lessons I learned along the way.

First, obedience costs.  My decision to step down as commander affected more than just me.  It affected my family because we have served together in Awana for ten years and it affected the church. It’s not that they wanted to close Awana; they just didn’t have anyone who was called to step up and run it.  I know they would’ve been happy to let me continue on as commander.  But I couldn’t.

And because of that decision, sixty kids don’t have an Awana program to attend and our family had to find a new church home.  (As members of the Northern California-Northern Nevada Ministry Team it’s important we attend a church that offers Awana.)

We know our sin can affect others, but the truth of the matter is that our obedience can too.  But, like Abraham who left his home to follow God dragging his family along with him, we need to obey God and leave the results to Him.

The second thing I learned is that I wanted someone to be “wrong.” As I was watching the door on Awana slowly shut, I wanted it to be someone’s fault, but God graciously gave me a great story about a couple of birds to reassure me that wasn’t the case.

The cuckoo bird is a large bird and it lays its egg in an English sparrow’s nest and flies away.  The sparrow hatches the egg as if it is one of her own. When the egg hatches, the large cuckoo bird pushes the smaller sparrows out of the nest or starves them out by hogging up all the food.  The book said “You can always tell when there is a cuckoo bird in an English sparrow’s nest because the ground is littered with dead sparrows.”

What God showed me from that story is that neither of the birds is “wrong.” Each one is just doing what God has designed them to do. They just shouldn’t be doing it together.

And somehow that stupid story set me free.  I knew I was doing what God was calling me to do and I had to trust that everyone else was doing the same.  It was just time for us to go our separate ways.  Maybe the greatest thing we can do for the kingdom is to obey God and give others the freedom to do the same.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment