Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Letting Down My Hair

Matthew 11:28 (ESV)
Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Good morning Zebras,

I have always struggled with my hair.  It is too straight to really be curly and too curly to be straight.  It doesn’t seem to want to behave and I do not have the talent necessary to make it. My hair and I have lived in an uneasy truce for most of my life. 

A few years ago, when I was preparing for my first retreat, I decided that I needed to change my appearance to mirror the inner transformation of God.  God may look at the heart, but women look at clothes and hair.  So I lost weight, bought new clothes and went to a really expensive place to have my hair cut.

At first it was fun, sort of.  I was not raised with money and I find that people who have it can be very intimidating.  But the lady who cut my hair was really talented, so talented that she goes to Europe and styles hair for the runway models, so I kept going.

But slowly it started to get stressful. 

I was spending a ton of money on my hair and it wasn’t working anymore.  Try as I might I could not make my hair behave.  And I felt like a failure.  I dreaded getting my hair cut, because I felt like I was letting it down.

I could no longer live up to my hair.

That’s when God said “Trust me.”  Quit spending a fortune on your hair and trust me.  Go to the nice lady that I told you about and trust that it will be okay.  So I did.  And you know what, my hair looks fine. 

And then I realized that is how some people feel about God.  They feel like they can’t live up to His standards.  They feel like they are constantly letting Him down.  Instead of living a life of joy, they are living a life of stress.  And eventually they walk away.  Who wants to be around someone they can never please?

But that is not the heart of God that is the heart of man. 

God knows we will never live up to His perfection and He loves us. He does not want us feeling bad about ourselves and hiding from Him.  He wants us to bring our broken lives and pathetic attempts at perfection to Him so that He can make us whole and perfect in Christ. He wants us to relax and learn who He is.

He wants to give us rest-not stress.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment