Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Broken Seat


John 16:7 (NIV84)

But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you.

Good morning Zebras,

The seat in my van has broken twice and it is starting to act up again.  The first two times it was the back of the seat, this time it feels like it is the bottom part.  But it doesn’t really matter, what matters I realized the other day as I was driving down the road, is that I don’t trust this seat anymore and I was doing my best not to sit in it.  Mentally, I was trying to levitate myself, which is impossible of course, so that I did not need to rely upon the seat to hold me up.

And God said that’s what you are doing with Me too. You are mentally trying to do it yourself so that you do not need to rely upon Me to miraculously provide.  You are afraid that I am going to let you down “again.”  That you are going to throw all your eggs into the God basket and I am going to drop them, so you are holding back…just a little. 

And of course He was right.  Flinging yourself after God is a scary thing, giving it all up and dancing naked before the Lord with no thought of your own interests is tougher than it seems.   And it is really tough here in the United States where we have so much and we are so able to take care of ourselves. I think culturally we are taught to work hard, rely upon ourselves and out of our abundance give to God.

Biblically, I think we are to supposed to be broken bread and poured out wine and out of our great poverty rely upon God.  But how many of us really do?

How many of us have really given it all up for God without holding anything in reserve in case the “God thing” doesn’t work out?  How many of us have flung ourselves off the cliff, knowing God is going to catch us?  Or do we have a more “balanced” approach?

He obviously has the heaven thing all under control, but doesn’t He appreciate our help with the day-to-day details of life?  Doesn’t God help those who help themselves by planning out every detail of their existence?  Isn’t that what we are taught?

But it isn’t true. God is not impressed with our abilities; He is impressed with our availability and our willingness to lose it all for Him.

Have a wonderful Easter little Zebras, remember Jesus died and rose again not only to conquer sin and death but to give us the Holy Spirit which indwells all believers and gives us the power to do all that God is asking of us even if it is really, really scary.

Love,

Jill

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment