Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

God is Not a Vegetable

Good morning ladies,

The English language is a funny thing. We have a lot of words with similar meanings and subtle differences.

Take for instance, “can” and “may.” “Can” means you are able to do something, while “may” is used if you are asking permission.

Or consider “good” and “well?” “Good” is used to describe a noun: The car is good. But you use “well” if you are talking about an action: You drive well.

Lately I’ve been thinking about “should” and “need.”

The Free Online Dictionary defines “should” as: Used to express obligation or duty and “need” as: A condition or situation in which something is required or wanted.

I think the subtle difference between the two is that we use “should” when we are describing something we have to do, but don’t really want to. For example, I should clean the toilet; I should go to the gym; or I should eat my vegetables.

While we use “need” for something we realize is important to us. Such as, I need a drink; I need dinner; or I need to get a haircut.

A lot of people say they should study their Bible, or they should spend time with God. God is not a vegetable. He is the creator of the universe, the sustainer of all life, the only source of true happiness. And He has made Himself accessible to us.

A better phrase would be I NEED to study the Bible, and I NEED to spend time with God. And then thank God that you can.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment