Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, August 31, 2009

Recruiting

Good morning ladies,

Yesterday before church Gary and I had a disagreement. We were talking about Awana and the need we have for leaders. I was listing off some people I’d spoken to who that I hoped were going to volunteer.

Gary commented after one name that I needed to leave him alone. “Can’t you tell,” he said, “that he doesn’t want to do it? Haven’t you noticed that he is avoiding you at church?”

I was crushed and I burst into tears.

One of the reasons I stepped down from Children’s Ministries years ago was that I felt people were avoiding me because they were afraid that I was going to try and recruit them. I was passionate about what I was doing and I wanted them to be passionate too. No tactic was off-limits to secure the needed volunteers.

I thought that I had changed.

Last year when I took over Awana I resolved not to harass people into serving, I wanted an army of God’s choosing. I would ask, and if they turned me down I would be gracious, confident God would bring me the people needed.

Obviously, I hadn’t changed as much as I’d thought.

Paul in writing to the Philippians says:

Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

It is comforting to me that God knows I’m a work in progress.

Love,
Jill






No comments:

Post a Comment