Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, March 16, 2012

Consequences

James 4:2b (NKJV)

Yet you do not have because you do not ask.
Good morning Zebras,

My son likes to tease me that in all my illustrations I always get to be God, which is usually true.  But not today, today I am a repentant sinner unable to change the consequences of my actions.

Over a year ago my little moodle dog started developing REALLY bad breath.  I mean his breath has never been good, but it got so bad that we would jokingly say he had “death breath.”  In my heart I knew something was wrong, but I just chalked it up to him being a boy and doing what boy dogs do which is licking things that stink.

I was never totally convinced that that was the reason and I kept coming across literature that said bad breath could be a sign that there was something wrong with your dog’s mouth or teeth. I did ask the vet how much it cost to have his teeth cleaned, but I let the matter drop when I found out it was five hundred dollars. Until Monday.

On Monday I decided maybe brushing his teeth would help.  Katherine had just gone to the dentist and she had gotten one of those little toothbrushes that they give away for free and it just seemed like the perfect size for his little mouth.

But when I opened his mouth I saw we were way beyond the brushing stage.  Four of his little teeth were loose and the bottom gums were brown and squishy.  Looking at it made me sick to my stomach, because I knew it was bad and I knew it was my fault.
 
Needless to say I called the vet immediately.
 
Today Josh is in surgery having his teeth cleaned.  They had to pull five teeth because they were rotted beyond repair and although they say he will be fine, I’m still feeling guilty. Because I know the only reason I didn’t take him in sooner was because it was so expensive and I wasn’t sure where the money would come from.

But you want to know the really sad thing?  I never once asked God to provide it.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment