Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Following God


2 Timothy 4:9–11a (ESV)
Do your best to come to me soon. For Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica. Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. Luke alone is with me.

Good morning Zebras,

God used to tell people to do crazy things.  This morning I was reading about Ezekiel, who was told by God to lie on his right side for 390 days, during which he could eat only one eight ounce meal a day cooked over manure.  Weird.  But what was Ezekiel’s reward? He was used by God as a prophet to the nation of Israel.
And what about the disciples?  When Jesus called them, He told them to leave their jobs and their families to follow Him.  They gave up everything to follow Christ.  And what was their reward?  God used them to spread the Good News to the world.

But that was during Biblical times.  It doesn’t seem like God is asking for that much these days.  It seems, when you really look at the way we live that God has changed His mind and that He’s willing to share the spotlight, to let us have a little bit of the world and a little bit of Him.  Or is He?
Yesterday I went for a walk and I hadn’t gone very far before I was joined by a stray dog.  He was a big golden retriever, very friendly, who I stopped to pet.  After which he decided to join me. Sometimes he walked a little ahead, sometimes he walked a little behind and sometimes he walked right at my side, but he kept checking to see if I was still there.

It was obvious he lived in the area because he seemed to know where we were going, that is until I took a turn to the right and started heading down the hill to the park.  At that point he sat down and looked at me.  I stopped and petted him one more time and then continued on my way.  He, however, didn’t come.  He sat and watched me until I turned a corner but he wasn’t willing to walk alongside me any further. 
On my way home I started thinking about that dog and how different it would have been if it had been Joshua, my incredibly loyal little dog.  Joshua never would’ve stopped; he would’ve kept following me no matter where I was going.

And that’s because Joshua knows and loves me.  To the stray I was just a person to keep him company for a short while; to Joshua I am the “reason he exists.”
This started me thinking...

Maybe it isn’t that God has quit asking to us to follow Him and do crazy things, maybe it’s just that we don’t know Him well enough to hear Him, or maybe we don’t love Him enough to go.
Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment