Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, March 12, 2012

Not My Job

Matthew 7:3–5 (ESV)

Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

Good morning Zebras.

I am so glad that I am not in charge of the world.

The other day I was driving and talking on the phone which is illegal in the state of California. I hadn’t been talking long, I had just placed the call in anticipation of the long line at the Costco gas station, but I was breaking the law and as I turned into the gas station a gentleman let me know.

He started honking and yelling at me through his window and I could tell by his gestures that it was my cell phone usage that had him disturbed. Now I don’t know the reason he was so upset, he or someone he loves might’ve been in an accident involving a driver who was talking on the phone or he could’ve just been someone who hates to see others break the law.

But he was clearly upset and all I could think was: “I am so glad it’s not my job to get everyone to behave.”

Which was kind of a surprising thought, since “controlling the world” used to be a hobby of mine, but somewhere along the line God showed me that was His job and not mine. I’ve found that when I watch others and try to get them to “behave,” I have very little time or energy to do what God has commanded me to do which is to love them.

But why is it so much more difficult to do when it is someone I know?

Maybe it is because I do love them and don’t want them to suffer the consequences of their foolish behavior or maybe it is because I still have a tendency to want to control the world-I have just narrowed my fiefdom down to include only my family and friends.

But it is still wrong and the same principles apply. It is not my job to police others, it is my job to police myself, pray for others and speak truth when I am prompted to do so out of a spirit of love and not a spirit of “I told you so.”

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment