Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Importance of Friends

1 Timothy 4:8 (ESV)

for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.
Good morning Zebras,

Last week I went to the hardware store to pick up a bag of sand for Katherine.  I went in, paid for the sand, and walked confidently outside to claim my fifty pound purchase. That is when the trouble started.
For the first time in my adult life I was unable to lift fifty pounds.  And to add insult to injury a very nice WOMAN came along and offered to help.  Even though I protested that I could do it myself, she grabbed it up and carried it to my car.

I was totally shocked that I couldn’t lift fifty pounds.  I have always been able to lift fifty pounds.  But here is the really sad part.  I have been going to the gym off and on years and in my mind I was getting stronger.
When I go to the gym I enjoy the elliptical and I tolerate the stationary bike but I really don’t like lifting weights.  I do it because I know it is good for me, but I don’t really push myself as hard as I could.  “No pain, no gain” is not my gym motto.  My motto is more like “Don’t do enough to make it hurt.”

However I am now painfully aware that just going and doing the easy stuff means I have been basically wasting my time. I have not been building new muscles like I thought, in fact I haven’t even been maintaining the ones I had.  I have been slowly slipping backwards and I never even noticed.
That’s when I knew the lesson wasn’t really about the gym.  And it wasn’t about the importance of building good strong spiritual muscles.  It was about the deceitful nature of the human heart and our amazing ability to convince ourselves that everything is going well, when in reality we are way off track.

Of course this never would have happened if my nephew had been with me.  As a physical trainer he would have noticed right away that I was just “playing gym.” He would have told me to knock it off, hopefully I would have listened.

And that reminded me of a story about a king and a lady who was taking a bath. 
King David’s encounter with Bathsheba is recorded in 2 Samuel 11, his rebuke by Nathan in 2 Samuel 12 and his contrite heart before God in Psalm 51.   All of which are great reading if you need to be reminded of the importance of having Godly people in your life who love you enough to confront you when you are wrong and the way you should respond when they do.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment