Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, March 23, 2012

Job Clarification

John 6:5–6 (NIV84)  

When Jesus looked up and saw a great crowd coming toward him, he said to Philip, “Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?”  He asked this only to test him, for he already had in mind what he was going to do.

Good morning Zebras,

I absolutely love God’s Word.

Recently I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed.  I am so excited about the doors God has opened for me to go and teach His Word, but to be honest living right alongside that excitement is fear.

Who am I to go and teach others what God’s Word says?  The answer of course is nobody.  But that doesn’t mean I’m not supposed to go. It just means I’m supposed to go and rely on God to do the work.

Which is easier said than done.

Following God when you are feeling strong and capable is much easier than following God when you know what He has asked you to do is WAY beyond your abilities, but I think the latter is where we are supposed to be living.

Look at Moses.  When he tried to free the Israelites through his own power, they turned on him and he had to flee to the desert for forty years.  By the time God called from the burning bush Moses seemed totally convinced he couldn’t do what God asked him to do. He made one excuse after another only to have God reassure him that it was God who was going to be doing the work, all Moses had to do was go along.

And the same is true of Joshua.  When God sent him into the Promised Land, He encouraged him by telling him: be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

Which is all great stuff but to be transparent, it wasn’t helping me much.  And that’s because going where God is sending me wasn’t really what I was afraid of.  So God let me see another story, one I was very familiar with, through new eyes.

Jesus was teaching and thousands of people were following Him.  He had been teaching for a while and the disciples realized the crowd was probably getting hungry so they told Jesus to send them away so they could get something to eat.

Instead Jesus turns to them and says: “You give them something to eat.”  Can you imagine the fear the disciples must have felt at that moment?  Jesus had just told them they were responsible for feeding all those people!   

But of course they weren’t.  Jesus was. He was just going to use them to do it.

And that’s what I needed to hear.

I needed to be reminded it’s not my job to meet the needs of everyone I meet.  It is just my job to point them to the person who can.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment