Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Ordinary No More

Acts 4:13 (NIV)
When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and took note that these men had been with Jesus.

Good morning Zebras,

I am starting a Bible study with some Zebra sisters here in my area.  We are going to work through Francis Chan’s book The Forgotten God : Reversing Our Tragic Neglect of the Holy Spirit together.  This morning I started lesson one. 

The first thing we are asked to do is to write what we believe about the Holy Spirit and honestly access why we have those beliefs.  Have we searched scripture for ourselves to see the work and purpose of the Spirit or have we simply accepted what other people have taught us?  Prior to last year I would have to say I just accepted what I was taught. Recently I have been studying the Spirit for myself.  But when dealing with an infinite God, no matter how much you learn there is always more right around the corner,

So this morning as I started my lesson I was not surprised when Acts 1:4-8, a very familiar passage, took on a deeper meaning.

Jesus was telling the disciples that the Holy Spirit would give them power to be His witnesses in world.  In the past I have always thought about that verse in the context of their speaking.  They would have the power to go and tell others the Gospel.  But this morning God showed me it is way more than that.  They would have the power, given by the Holy Spirit, to go and live lives that would testify to the world about Jesus not just by words but by actions as well. Now that makes more sense. 

Not all of us are called to wander the world and preach the Gospel, but all of us all called to be His witness in the world.  All of us are called to live lives that are honoring to Him.  All of us are called to look different than the world, to value pleasing God above pleasing men, to treasure heavenly rewards more than earthly ones, to love our neighbors even if they are totally unlovable and to keep our bodies and tongues under control so that we don’t dishonor God with what we say and do. To accomplish this we have been given the power of God.

Therefore no Christian should ever say: “I can’t” when it comes to obeying God because they can, they just don’t know it or they don’t want to.

And that is exciting!  It means that everything God has asked me to do; He has given me to the power to do, from the smallest task to the scariest leap of faith, not so that I can look cool, but so that my life is a living witness to the power of God.

I love you little Zebras and if you are thinking “Rats, I want to be in that study!” just pick up the books and learn along with us or make a group of your own.  The more the merrier.

Love,

Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment