Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Second Chance


Romans 13:14 (ESV)
But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Good morning Zebras,
Three years ago when we were planning the first Zebra retreat Mike Sexton, the Awana missionary for our area, let me go to all four fall Awana conferences and talk about Zebras.  From that God brought seventy of the one hundred women who attended.  So last spring when God prompted me to organize another Zebra retreat, the first one for men and woman, I thought “Great I will just promote it at conference again and gather up interested people.”  But God had other plans.

Through a variety of ways, as only God can do, He made it perfectly clear that I was not to speak at Awana conferences this year.  Instead I was to offer my services to Mike and be a support and encouragement to him.  So I did.
Last weekend on the twenty-first I went to Santa Rosa.  It was a great day; God definitely blessed me for doing what I was supposed to do.  Everything was going great, I was focused on supporting Mike and then right at the end someone came and talked to me about Zebras.  They shared a story that was a huge encouragement to me, but instead of just accepting the blessing I whipped out a retreat brochure and asked them to pray for this upcoming event and then I handed one to the woman sitting next to me.

It wasn’t until the next day that God made it perfectly clear I shouldn’t have done that. I haven’t had a day that bad in a long time, but the weight of my disobedience was almost crushing.   God had very clearly told me not to promote the retreat at conference but I had taken a few flyers “just in case” someone asked.  I mean, handing out brochures isn’t the same as speaking…right?  Wrong.  Disobedience is disobedience because God isn’t looking at the actions He is looking at the heart.
He knew I was worried that He wasn’t going to be able to fill this next event if I didn’t help Him out a little, and that is what He was disciplining me for.  It wasn’t for one or two brochures; it was for my lack of faith.  Thankfully, there was one more conference left and I had another chance to show God I trusted Him.  

Yesterday was the Sacramento conference, seven hundred people, lots of opportunities to talk about Zebras but this time because of today’s verse, I left my brochures at home.  I knew if I took them I would give in to the temptation to hand them out and this morning I would once again be sitting around with a crushed spirit. And although I talked about Zebras, God He did amazing things to encourage me I that I was on the right path.
I love you little Zebras; God will do what has promised.  He doesn’t want nor need our help; He just wants our obedience and our faith, and the credit for making it happen.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment