Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, May 26, 2017

Good morning Zebras,

I love you.

Yesterday, I had a wonderful morning with God.  I was up early and at 7:30 I felt like I was supposed to shower and head off to an 8:30 yoga class.  It isn’t a class I go to, but since I put every day before God and try to listen to what He is saying, I went.

I hadn’t gotten very far before I came to a stop sign with two other cars.  The lady in the car on my right was looking at me rather oddly so I smiled and waved.  As she made the turn in front of me she slowed down and started rolling down her window, I just waved and kept on driving.

A few seconds later the wind caught a reusable shopping bag hanging from the passenger’s side mirror of my car and I realized that is what she had been trying to tell me.

So many lessons, but maybe the main one is, we control what gets in our lives and God will help us if we choose to not let in things that dishonor Him.

The reason I didn’t roll down the window was because I have been yelled at too many times by other drivers. I hadn’t stopped at the intersection properly, my front tires were over the white line, and I figured that is what she wanted to yell at me about and I didn’t want to hear it.  I was happy in my little “God bubble” and I didn’t want to let the world’s hostility in. 

We control what comes into our life.  We control what we watch and what we read, and we control what we let into our heart.  Life can be tough, people can say unkind things, but that doesn’t mean we have to listen or believe what they say,

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Far too much mental energy is wasted thinking about things, people, and situations that are not true, noble, right, etc.  Mental energy that could be better used for prayer. 

Philippians 4:6–7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

If we want the peace of God that transcends all understanding then we need to learn to control our thoughts, take every thought captive to obey Christ, and quit "rolling down the window" and letting other people rob us of our joy.

Love,
Jill


P.S. Other lessons: Sometimes we misjudge people's motives; guarding yourself against getting hurt can disqualify you for ministry-we must be willing to pour ourselves out like drink offerings in the service to Christ; and you won't be as concerned about being yelled at if you don't do anything wrong. Love you Zebras-enjoy your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment