Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Friday, June 18, 2010

Building the Wall

John 9:4

As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.


Good morning Zebras,

The last lesson I have the privilege of teaching next week at camp is about Nehemiah. Nehemiah is the last of the historical books of the Old Testament. It tells the story of Nehemiah a man burden by God with the task of rebuilding the walls around Jerusalem.

Israel had been taken into captivity, because of their unfaithfulness, and after seventy years they were finally being allowed to return to Jerusalem. However, the wall that had protected the city had been destroyed so the city was not safe and not many Israelites were returning. Those that had were in great trouble and distress.

When Nehemiah heard this he sat down and wept and after praying and fasting he sought permission from his boss, the Persian king, to go and rebuild the wall.

And because the gracious hand of my God was upon me, the king granted my requests.

So Nehemiah went and the wall was rebuilt in fifty-two days.

As I was reading the story I thought about the state of God’s church and the purpose of walls. Walls were built to keep out the enemy, to protect the people and to keep them safe. And I had to wonder if my personal wall of faith was well built.

I don’t know if every city has an emergency warning system, but we do. It is a siren, much like the ones from WWII that were used during air raids, and last night it went off.

When I heard it my first thought was, “This is it.”

Of course it wasn’t otherwise I wouldn’t be writing to you, but for just a moment I thought God was coming back and it was all over.

This morning as I was praying about how to make a story about an old man rebuilding a wall 2500 years ago exciting to high school girls God reminded me of the siren.

There will come a day when it will be over. God will come and that will be it. It will be too late for any last minute repairs.

Ephesians 6:13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment