Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Discouraged?

2 Corinthians 10:5b

…we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday morning I woke up discouraged. No BIG reason, just a lot of little things that needed to get done adding up to too much to do in one day. You know the feeling-done before you even get started.

When I sat down to do my quiet time my Bible opened to Matthew 28 and my eyes fell upon the heading Jesus Appears to the Women. Since I am a woman I was curious about what Jesus had said to them.

So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings,” he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, “Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.”

What struck me about this passage was Jesus’ attention to their feelings. The women were happy Jesus had risen but they were also afraid. So Jesus personally came to reassure them. That is so cool! And He does the same thing for us through His Word.

God knows we are emotional creatures. He made us this way. I was feeling discouraged and it felt wrong. But feelings aren’t sin they are just feelings that need to be dealt with. So I did a word search on “discouraged” to see what the Bible had to say.

What I found was very encouraging. God told His people numerous times in the Old Testament not to be afraid or discouraged because He knew they would be both.

All of us get discouraged; all of us want to throw in the towel. That’s why God gave us verses like these:

Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

1 Chronicles 28:20
David also said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished.

And even though I didn’t write to you yesterday, it wasn’t because I was discouraged, it was because I got distracted. But that is a whole other z-mail!


Love,
Jill

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post on feeling discouraged. Today I'm discouraged...like you said no one big thing, just a bunch of little things. I'm goint to tuck 1 Chronicles 28L20 in my pocket today, so I can be strong and courageous while doing my work, so I wont be afriad or discourated, because my God is with me, and my god will not fail or forsake me...thanks Jill!

    ReplyDelete