Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Goodness vs Grace

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Good morning Zebras,

This month our “herd” (what we call Zebras) is pondering on the grace of God. The herd meeting is Saturday, so yesterday Women’s Ministry sent out a reminder which included the following questions to help people focus on what God would have them share. How have you seen God's grace in your life? Where is God currently showing you His grace? How can you show God's grace to others?

I have to be honest when the e-mail came in I was in a BAD mood. I had been arguing with my husband and the last thing I was focused on was the grace of God.

But reading the e-mail changed all that. I started thinking about the grace God had shown me in the hospital. The surgery went well, I had a private room, my nurse was named “Joy” and the device they used to keep my leg immobilized felt like my dog was sleeping on my feet.

Laying there in the hospital I felt the loving hand of God and began to praise Him for being good but He stopped me.

“What have you learned?” He asked.

“That You are good not because of what You do but because of who You are. And even if everything had gone wrong You would still be good.”

“Right, so this is not proof of my goodness, but an example of my grace.”

Some people might say that I am splitting hairs that “goodness” and “grace” are the same thing, but they’re not. They are always listed as separate attributes.

I could explain to you the theological explanation but I think it would be WAY more fun if you figured it out for yourself.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment