Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

You Have Worth

Psalm 139:13-14

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Good morning Zebras,


Yesterday I watched Chariots of Fire. It is a movie I have watched before and I thought it was about Eric Liddell, the Olympic runner who, in 1920, refused to run on Sunday. But after reading a book about him and then watching the movie again, I would say that it isn’t really about Eric at all. It is about why you run.

The movie has two main characters, Eric and Harold Abrahams. Eric is a missionary’s son from Scotland who knows God has made him fast and uses it for His glory. Harold is an insecure Jewish man who feels left out of the English power world and uses his running to “beat them one by one.”

Eric runs from strength, Harold runs from need.

In one scene Harold is sharing with a friend his fears about the upcoming Olympic race. He says he feels like he has 10 seconds to prove his life has worth. How sad!

Now I know this is Hollywood and that conversation probably never happened but the idea still makes me sad. In fact I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it.

We can never have worth outside of our relationship with God and our life will never have any meaning if He is not the center of it. It doesn’t matter how much you do or how hard you work, or what you accomplish, worth, like love cannot be earned.

God gave us worth when He created us. It is not something we have to strive for. It is something we have. But too many women don’t see that. They think they are worthless, or at least worth less than they are so they run and strive and wear themselves out proving that they have value.

Ladies you have value-God made you. But unless you slow down long enough for God to tell you that Himself you are never going to believe it.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment