Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Giving Directions

1 Corinthians 11:1 (ESV)

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday I ran to the gym for a quick workout.  I didn’t have much time before I needed to be somewhere but I figured I could squeeze in at least a little cardio.

As I was signing in, I overheard an older gentleman with a thick accent asking the staff for directions to “the 80 freeway.”  He wasn’t getting a very warm response because I think his age, accent and appearance made the young girls uncomfortable. They told him they didn’t know how to get there and were about to send him on his way.

So I stepped in.  First I verbally told him how to get there, but I could see he didn’t really understand me. Then I grabbed a piece of paper and drew him a quick map,  But I could tell by his questions that he was still confused and that there was a good chance he would walk out the door and get lost again. And I realized the only way to make sure he got there was to take him myself so I motioned for him to follow me.

As we drove out of the parking lot I thought about a time that I too had been lost.  I had rented a sand buggy on the Oregon Dunes and had taken my young daughter out for a ride.  I have a rather poor sense of direction and the dunes all look the same so it was probably inevitable that I would get lost.  And I did.  I was so scared because it felt like I was in the middle of nowhere with no hope of getting back.

When some sand buggies came over the far hill, I jumped and yelled until they saw me.

I was never so grateful to see and follow someone I didn’t even know.  I felt like they had been sent by God to rescue me and I still feel that way.

Yesterday, I felt like I was the angel and I realized helping the lost was what God has called me to do

We live in a world of lost people, people who don’t know Christ and Christians who don’t realize what they have. They think Christianity is a list of rules and regulations instead of a love relationship with the Creator of the world.  They think they have to do everything themselves, instead of realizing Christ has done it all and all we need to do is walk it out.  They think following Jesus is a burden not a joy.

And all of us who know the truth have the privilege of helping others find their way.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment