Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Knife or Staple Remover?

Psalm 139:13 (ESV)

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.

Good morning Zebras,

I am notorious for grabbing whatever is nearby and using it to accomplish my task, even if that is not what it is made for.  For example this morning I was using a paring knife to take staples out of the wall which is why I have a lot of knives with bent tips.

And I have ruined a few of my husband’s tools by using them incorrectly.  Once I used some delicate sentimental saw my husband had to hack the limbs off the Christmas tree.

This morning, with the knife, I was just too lazy to go find the right tool so I just grabbed whatever was handy. With the saw I figured a “saw is a saw is a saw” and even though it didn’t look like a regular saw it looked like it could cut wood.

In both cases I used the wrong tool to accomplish the task, making the task more difficult and ruining the tool.

Yesterday I was thinking about God as the Creator, and the implications of that one attribute alone are amazing. 

God’s creation testifies not only to His majesty but also to His imagination.  He didn’t need to make a galaxy for the Earth to sit in.  Nor did He have to make such a variety of plants and animals.  He could have made it anyway He wanted.

All the “laws of nature” we so diligently study were invented by God.  He defies our understanding and His creation certainly illustrates that.

But as the Creator, He also made us, each one of us individually, and that is what I was thinking about yesterday. 

Because God made me, He is the only one who really knows what He made me to do.  He is the only one who really knows what I can do well and what only I can “do.”  He’s the only one who knows whether I am a knife or whether I am a staple remover.

What God has been teaching me lately is that He doesn’t want to use a knife as a staple remover, but He can and He will if the “knife” refuses to wait and starts pulling out staples.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment