Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Thy Word is Truth

Galatians 6:3 (ESV)

For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday I spent the day thinking about whether I am a sinner or a saint. I concluded that I am a saint who used to be a sinner until I was saved by God’s grace.

Now you may think that it doesn’t really matter, but I decided it does.

If I am a sinner, then I will behave like a sinner and if I am a saint I will behave like a saint.  If I know deep in my heart that I am a new creature then I am free to act differently.  If I believe that I am still a sinner then I will still be trapped in my sins.

So this morning I went to find the verse: As a man thinketh so he is, because it seemed to fit perfectly with what God was telling me. If you think you are a saint, you are a saint. If you think you are a sinner, you are a sinner.   But the funny thing is, I couldn’t find it.

I looked in all my concordances, but it wasn’t there. But I knew I had heard it so in desperation I looked on the web, and there it was. Not only is it a Bible verse, it is the title of a famous book that seems to have spawned the “power of positive thinking” movement and it gave the reference as Proverbs 23:7.

Proverbs 23:7 in the NIV says: for he is the kind of person who is always thinking about the cost. “Eat and drink,” he says to you, but his heart is not with you.

Now I was really puzzled, so I did a little research and found out that in King James it does say For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: but that is only half the verse and it was quoted out of context.

Proverbs 23:6-8 go together and they were written as an observation on what happens when someone eats with a miserly host. The entire passage reads: Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, Neither desire thou his dainty meats: For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; But his heart is not with thee.  The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, And lose thy sweet words.

It has nothing to do with changing your behavior by changing your thinking.  It is saying do not eat with people who pretend to be generous but in reality are miserly. No matter how they act, it is what is in their heart that counts.  WOW, big difference!

Biblically it doesn’t really matter what we think, it only matters if what we think is true.  And what is true is God’s Word which says we were sinners, but now, because of His grace we are saints with the power to live like saints.

Love,
Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment