Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Snackin'

Psalm 119:15–16 (ESV)  

I will meditate on your precepts and fix my eyes on your ways.  I will delight in your statutes; I will not forget your word.

Good morning Zebras,

Yesterday, I fixed scrambled eggs for my son for breakfast and I shared a little with my moodles (my small totally spoiled mutt-poodles.) Then I made chicken salad for him and his father for lunch and I shared a few pieces of chicken with them.  Finally, my daughter got up and I boiled an egg for her and gave the yolk to the dogs, all of this before their breakfast.

I have two moodles, and they are very different.  Joshua is a rather picky eater, who much prefers people food to dog food, and he never eats a lot at once. Abigail on the other hand loves food, all food, and will continue to eat until the food is gone.

So I wasn’t really surprised that Joshua didn’t eat anything when I finally put down his dog food or that Abigail not only ate her breakfast but Joshua’s too.

This morning I did it differently.  I didn’t give them any treats at all until after I had fed them breakfast.  Then I only gave them a few.

This gave me a perfect illustration for something I have been thinking about.

Lately I’ve noticed that we live with an avalanche of words.  I wondered if there has ever been a time in history where there were more words available to us than there now.

In addition to the old standbys of newspaper, books and magazines we have e-mail, blogs, e-books, texting, and Facebook, just to name a few.  Everywhere I look there are words vying for our attention.

It's easy to fill up on the reading of “snacks” and not have time to read the “good” stuff.

God’s people need to read God’s word.  Not just other people’s opinions about God’s word, but the word itself. God’s people need to read God’s view of the world, not just man’s view.

God’s word is the source of all the truth and power and reading it is essential for his people.

The irony of me writing about not reading other peoples’ writing has not escaped me, but I still think that’s God’s message for the day.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment