Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Hearts

1 Samuel 16:7 (NASB95)

But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
Good morning Zebras,

Have you ever thought about the fact that today’s verse can either be terrifying or comforting depending upon the condition of your heart?  I hadn’t not really until God gave me a visual.

I have two dogs that have very different personalities, but as their master I think I know them rather well.  I think, as much as humanly possible, I know my dog’s hearts and that influences how I interact with them.
For example, On Wednesday Joshua was in a rather lazy mood.  He came downstairs for breakfast and then went immediately back to bed. When I went up to tell him it was time for our walk, something he really loves to do, I was met with complete disinterest.  I tried to coax him off the bed, but he really wanted to sleep so I decided to let him.

But in my heart I knew he would be disappointed if he missed his walk, so I gave him a little time to think about it and then I went back.  When I opened the door I was not met with the lazy disinterested dog I had left, instead he sprung off the bed without me even saying a word, eager and ready to go. 
I think he thought he had missed his chance.

And I realized that is how God deals with us. He knows our hearts, He knows what we REALLY want to do and He loves us enough to give us a second chance.  He knows that sometimes we are tired and lazy, indulging our sinful nature rather than walking in the spirit, but because of His great love for us He doesn’t leave us that way.  He keeps coming back offering us a chance to “get off the bed.”
Then yesterday Abigail got “misplaced.”  It didn’t take me long to notice she was gone but when I did, I didn’t panic. Unlike Joshua who would wander off if given half a chance, Abigail doesn’t have a restless spirit.  So I knew she had to be trapped somewhere and I went to find her.

And again God had a lesson for me.
God knows the hearts of His people.  He knows those who are trying to run away from Him, and those who just get misplaced.  And when we are misplaced, off track or otherwise distracted, He lovingly comes looking for us.  He knows we don’t really want to wander around lost, so He comes to show us the way home.

The condition of our heart is very important to God and in theory it should be comforting to us knowing that God looks at our hearts rather than how we “sometimes” behave. 
Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment