Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Mercy

Ephesians 2:3–5 (NIV84)  

All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.  But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved.
Good morning Zebras,
I finally packed away the attribute tree yesterday, so today I need to finish the last of the ornaments which is “mercy.”

I think for most of us mercy is where we start, the knowledge we’re sinners, saved by grace according to the mercy of God.  So it was interesting to me that mercy was the last attribute left on the tree.
I think that’s because God wanted me to see not only do we start with His mercy, we will end with it as well.

The great picture in Revelation Chapter 1 of John falling at the feet of Jesus has become a visual to me of how it will be when I finally see God.  When I am standing before Him in all His majesty and glory I have no doubt that like John, I’m going down.   And I would remain there if it were not for Jesus. 
It is His relationship with the Father and my relationship with Him that’s going to allow me to stand in the presence of the Father, for without Christ’s sacrifice we would all be cast away forever from the presence of God.

And when I really ponder on this, my response is same as the psalmist: “How, (Oh Lord) can I repay You for all the goodness you have done to me?” The answer is of course I can’t.  God gave me for free what I could never get for myself.

So why aren’t I more grateful?  Why aren’t I constantly on my knees thanking God for what He did and offering up my life as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to Him?
I think it’s because it was free.  When the price is paid by someone else it is easy to forget how much it cost and take their gift for granted.  At least it is for me.

When I graduated from high school my brother paid my way to college. He didn’t have a lot of money; he was just willing to make the necessary sacrifices so that I could have a college education.  And how did I repay him?  I flunked out. Of course I was just a kid, I had no idea what it cost him to pay my way to school  In fact, It was years later, when I had to pay my own way that I finally  appreciated what he had done. But then it was too late to thank him, he had died.
And that’s how I am starting for feel about God’s mercy.  Short of heaven I will probably never really understand what it cost Him, but I don’t want that to be an excuse to live the rest of my life as an ungrateful child.

Love,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment