Zebra Events


Contact information

Gary or Jill Getchell at zebraministries@gmail.com


Zebra Ministries

Welcome to the herd!

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:24-25

Monday, July 9, 2012

Count on God


2 Timothy 4:16–17 (ESV)

At my first defense no one came to stand by me, but all deserted me. May it not be charged against them!  But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me

Good morning Zebras,

While I was at camp last week I learned Awana has decided to discontinue Zip E. Zebra.  The preschool material hasn’t been updated for about 15 years and it was time for a change so they moved Cubbie-the-bear from the jungle to a barnyard which meant the zebra had to go.

This is of course, no big deal.  Right?  Right!  Except for the fact that Zip E. Zebra is the zebra mascot I use for the ministry and I’d grown quite fond of him.  But that wasn’t really the problem.  The problem was that deep down inside, deeper than even I care to admit, I was hoping Awana would help me start a ministry.

I mean they are real, they are big, they have power, and they could help me if they wanted to, but when they discontinued Zip E. I felt God say “Don’t count on them.”

And I started to cry. 

Since I didn’t want to be seen crying over a zebra puppet, I went outside and there sitting on a log watching the sun come up I heard the rest of the message.  ‘Don’t count on them, count on Me. I’m big, I’m real and I have power.”

But here’s the funny part I didn’t realize until that moment that I’d been counting on anything else.  It’s amazing how easy it is to put our hope in others, how it sneaks up on us even when we know better and how difficult it is to keep our hope centered totally on God.

Oswald Chambers today reads:  “Do you have even the slightest reliance on anything or anyone other than God?  Is there a remnant of reliance left on any natural quality within you, or on any particular set of circumstances?  Are you relying on yourself in any manner whatsoever regarding this new proposal or plan which God has placed before you?  Will you examine yourself by asking these probing questions?...The person who is still relying and trusting in anything within himself is the last person to even come close to saying, “I will serve the Lord.””

So I guess I’m grateful Awana discontinued Zip E. because it showed me something I would’ve never noticed otherwise. 

Dear Heavenly Father, please show us those areas where we are depending upon something other than you to accomplish the tasks you’ve given us to do and remind us that You alone are sufficient to supply all that we need.  Amen.

Have a wonderful day little Zebras-focused on and relying on the Lord.

Love,

Jill






No comments:

Post a Comment